The major components of these products are paperboard, water based and soy inks,
and adhesives. These components are generally considered to pose no concern.
The corrugated sheets, boxes and displays we supply meet or exceed the legislation
requirements established for RoHS, REACH, SVHC, CONEG and European Union directive
2005/95EC heavy metals.* (Specifically Lead, Mercury, Cadmium and Hexavalent Chromium
and Fire Retardants PBB and PBDE.)
We continue to work with our suppliers, monitoring their MSDS requirements and our
own testing processes to assure our customers of the safest and highest quality
Heat Treated Pallets
Meridian Display manufactures heat treated pallets for use in overseas shipping.
Our pallets meet the criteria under ISPM 15 for treatment and marking of packaging
materials. We are a member in good standing with the Forest Products Services WPM program,
which is accredited by the American Lumber Standard Committee, Inc. (ALSC).
All heat treated pallets bear the wood packaging material (WPM) stamp.
* The legislation listed above is the following:
- RoHS-Restriction of Hazardous Substances - 1/1/1971 - restricts the use of heavy
metals-Lead, Mercury, Cadmium etc.
- REACH-Registration, Evaluation, Authorization, and Restriction of Chemicals - 9/18/1981
- expands the list to include-flame retardants like PBBs and PBDEs.
- SVHC-Substances of Very High Concern - 10/8/2008 - include extremely toxic carcinogens.
- CONEG-Coalition of Northeastern Governors - 1976 - For the purpose of establishing
policies for Governors/States focusing on Economical, Environmental and Social well-being
issues. In 1992 they formed TPCH-Toxins in Packaging Clearing House, which adopted
the RoHS, REACH and SVHC directives.
We receive questions about two other efforts, but they do not apply to the products
we produce. They are the following:
- CPSIA-Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act Applies to children's toys and bedding
etcetera, and is not applicable to us, because packaging/displays are intended to
be discarded and not for children to play with.
- SFI-Sustainable Forestry Initiative is not applicable for us, because the high recycled
content makes it impossible to control where the paper originated.